Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Today's Hawaiian Shirts - Vintage Matchbooks and Dragons on vintage 1990s shirts!

So, I've just been working on my new website, oldoldstuff.com and re-acquainting myself with some of the shirts that I have in my inventory.  Some new old favorite brands I seem to gravitate to are not-too-distant past labels such as Utility.  Here's  a prime example of the range of subject matter now attributed to the phrase "Hawaiian Shirt", seemingly co-opted to mean just about any printed shirt with a colorful design.  Here's one that might suit a philumenist. (That's the word match cover collectors call themselves - lovers of light, invented probably in the 1920s or 30s.)


  Other subject matter popular in shirts of the recent past includes Chinese dragons!  Menacing or friendly, symmetrically laid out, or twisting all over the fabric, they're a great addition to topical prints.  5-clawed dragons are generally associated with Emperors of Imperial China, while less claws are found on less auspicious dragons.  Check out several styles and sizes in my current stock on Ebay.

Amplify
Claudio Nucci

Million Guy


No comments: