Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hawaiian Shirts with Horizontal patterns

The other day I was looking at a page of Hawaiian shirts that I have for sale in my Ebay store, and I recognized some distinct patterning that I really hadn't considered before, although, in the moment, it was really clear.  Shirts can be classified in many ways; by color, by theme, by size, design elements, fabrics, you name it; this is about the layout of the elements of the print. So, I'm thinking, let me show you a  few shirts with a horizontal lay-out, for starters.

 Setting the tone and expectation....line them up on the bar. Party time!
 This shirt is one of my current favorites. the strong horizontal border  bands on the hem and sleeve are a great contrast to the vertical lines of the swaing palm trees in this incredible night-time beach scene of silhouettes.
 This red number is a Pierre Cardin rayon shirt with a horizontal 
band across the chest featuring woody station wagons.
 One of my favorite brands is Kahala.  The shirt above is by Hawaiian artist John Severson.  In this cast, the scene itself creates a strong horizontal line.
 Bands of beer!  It's a light-hearted design..is it lite beer?
 And palm trees
 Color creates strong contrasting bands
And alternating pineapples and palms in wide bands are separated by narrower 
bands of traditional tapa designs in a monochromatic print.

No comments: